Local Land Charges
A local land charge is a liability or burden imposed on land, which is binding on successive owners.
A land search is important because it will tell you about possible restrictions or issues affecting your home.
The Standard Search Fee (LLC1 + CON29) is £291.35
VAT is charged on CON29 searches.
Full details of all charges can be found below.
Our local land charges service maintains an electronic register that provides information on land and property in the district.
This is used to carry out searches, usually when land or property is being purchased, leased, re-mortgaged or valued, to protect financial and legal interests.
We hold information including:
- planning decisions
- building control
- environmental health
- policy information contained in the local plan
Several other statutory public bodies are also consulted, including Surrey County Council Highways.
The register is updated on a daily basis to ensure that the most accurate information is held, we are usually able to complete local searches within five working days of receiving a request.
The search, which is in two parts (LLC1 and CON29 forms), is usually requested by solicitors or licensed conveyancers, although private individuals or organisations can also apply for them.
The LLC1 form is a search of the register only, dealing with all the registerable charges, such as:
- financial issues (registered against the property by the local authority)
- improvement grants
- tree preservation orders (TPOs)
- conditional planning consents and agreements
The CON29 form deals with issues such as
- road schemes,
- planning history
- various notices which affect the property
The CON29 form consists of a series of standard questions, while the CON29O form contains some optional enquiries that you may wish to ask about.
Searches can be submitted and paid for online by visiting any of the NLIS website.
When completed, the searches will be returned to you electronically.
Read more Personal Searches, and details about the Assisted Service.
We no longer answer solicitors’ additional enquiries.
For any additional questions that are not part of the official local authority search (i.e. CON29 and CON29O enquiries), please call 01306 885001.
National Land Information Service (NLIS)
NLIS is a government initiative which carries the sole mandate of providing electronic official land and property information held by all local authorities in England and Wales, as well as other official sources of data, including HM Land Registry, the Coal Authority and water companies.
The NLIS Hub acts as a gateway for conveyancers to access land and property information through one of the NLIS Licensed Channels. The NLIS Hub is regulated by Land Data.
Local Land Charges Search Fees
Charges from 1 April 2023
CON29 searches include VAT
- Standard search fee (Form LLC1 and CON29 Part 1 Enquiries): £291.35
- Additional Parcel of Land (each): £50.50
- CON29O Optional Enquiries: £23.70
- Form LLC1 Fee (Search in register only): £50.75
- Additional parcel of land for a Form LLC1 search (each): £10.90 (Up to maximum of £152.60)
- Search in a single part of the register: £17.85 per part
- Registration of a charge in Part 11 of the register (light obstruction notices): £90.00
- Filing a definitive certificate of the Lands Tribunal under rule 10(3): £3.50
- Filing a judgement, order or application for the variation or cancellation of any entry in Part 11 of the register (light obstruction charges): £8.75
- Inspection of documents filed under rule 10 in respect of each parcel of land: £3.25
- Office copy of any plan or other document filed pursuant to these rules: Price on application
- Duplicate copy of a completed search: £10.75 (See note 1 below)
- Personal Search Fee: Free
Mole Valley District Council does not issue refunds (of search fees paid) in respect of cancelled searches.
- Mole Valley District Council will only provide a duplicate copy of a search to a third party if the original applicant gives Mole Valley District Council a letter on headed paper authorising that the search can be provided to a named third party.
If you require assistance in calculating search fees, please contact Mole Valley Land Charges by telephone on 01306 879132. We will be happy to help.
Comments, suggestions and complaints
If you would like to make any comments or suggestions about the service, you can do so in writing to:
Local Land Charges, MVDC, Pippbrook, Dorking, Surrey, RH4 1SJ, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.