Do I need Planning Permission?

Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission under Permitted Development (PD) rights.

However, this may not be the case if your house is Listed, in a Conservation Area or Article 4 Direction Area, has been extended in the past, or if PD rights have been removed by a planning condition.

Details about your property, including the Conservation Area and Listed Building status, and the planning history, can be found by entering the address into My Mole Valley

Planning portal website

The Planning Portal provides more information about Permitted Development Rights, including interactive guides and advice about common projects.

Direct links to some common householder projects providing planning advice can be found below.

The website also provides all of the resources necessary to submit planning applications.

Lawful Development Certificates

Whilst not compulsory, if you are in any doubt about the need to obtain planning permission for the proposed work, or you need formal confirmation, you should submit a Certificate of Lawfulness for Proposed Development with accompanying plans. This will allow a planning officer to confirm whether you will require planning permission. More information can be found at Lawful Development Certificates (LDC)

Details of how to apply can be found at Submitting a Planning Application. You will have to pay a fee.

Larger home extensions

PD rights for single-storey extensions have now been increased permanently from

  • four metres to eight metres for detached houses
  • from three metres to six metres for all other houses

If you wish to build a ‘larger’ extension under PD, you must notify us using the appropriate application form. There is no charge and we have up to eight weeks to decide if it complies with the regulations.

This does not apply where permitted development rights have been removed, if the property is located within a conservation area, AONB, or is a listed building.

Domestic solar panels

The installation of solar panels and equipment on residential buildings and land may be ‘PD’ with no need to apply for planning permission.

There are, however, important limits and conditions which must be met to benefit from these permitted development rights.

Details can be found on the Planning Portal website.

Commercial buildings

Most alterations to business premises need planning permission, including:

  • some shop and office extensions
  • alterations to shop fronts
  • external security shutters or grilles

Choosing an architect

We do not recommend architects.

However, by law, anyone who calls themselves an architect must be trained, qualified and registered with the Architects Registration Board (ARB).

To help you choose, it is suggested you talk to other people who have employed the services of an architect, or look in paper or online directories of trade’s people.

The ARB have a register of qualified architects which can be accessed by visiting their website, emailing or by calling 0800 389 6221.

Land ownership and boundaries

The Land Registry registers title to land, and records dealings (e.g. sales and mortgages) with registered land.

The Land Registry can be contacted on 0300 006 0411 (Monday – Friday, 8am to 6pm).

For more information about boundary, rights of way, access or land ownership issued, please call Surrey County Council on 03456 009 009 or visit their website.

New development in the green belt

We often get calls from customers who are being offered the ‘chance’ to buy a piece of land within the green belt, with a view to building a new dwelling.

Please be aware that the development of new dwellings within the green belt is contrary to national and local planning policies, and will not be granted planning permission.

Applying for a vehicle crossover or dropped kerb

Surrey County Council Highways own most roads and footpaths in Mole Valley. It is an offence to carry out any works to the footway without permission from them. More information can be found at Vehicle crossovers or dropped kerbs.

Applying is a two stage process.

1.  Complete the enquiry form below. Depending on the location, we will either issue a letter confirming that planning permission is not required, or confirm that you will need to apply for planning permission from us.

There is a charge of £80

Vehicle Crossover (Dropped Kerb) Enquiry ›

2. Once you have the necessary letter or permission from us, you will then need to obtain approval from Surrey County Council