Noise Complaint

We do not operate an out of hours service for noise complaints.

If you contact us out of hours, your details will be taken and the complaint will be sent to the Environmental Health team the next working day.

Resolving noise problems

It is often better to try to resolve problems by speaking to the person who is causing the noise disturbance, if this is possible without putting your safety at risk.

Alternatively, you could try contacting Mediation Surrey whose service is free and confidential.

Car alarms

When an alarm is reported, we will make attempts, within reason, to find the person responsible for the vehicle.

An abatement notice will be attached to the car while investigations are happening, giving the owner of the vehicle one hour to silence the alarm.

If the alarm still sounds after one hour, we can authorise works necessary to silence the noise nuisance, either by gaining access to the car or by removing it.

Burglar alarms

On hearing a security alarm please first contact the police, if it is possible there may have been a break in.

If there is no evidence of a break-in and the alarm continues to sound for more than 20 minutes, report it to us.

Building/demolition work

This excludes domestic/short term DIY.

Advice for site/builders

Informing us and your neighbours:

  • Give us six weeks notice before start of works. Conditions may be set about how or when the work should be done
  • Send a letter to neighbours before work commences which outlines any potential disruption, providing a contact name and telephone number for someone on site
  • Inform us of your contact details for somebody on site who can be contacted 24/7 so any complaints may be resolved informally
  • Please deal promptly with any complaints received on site


Keep dust down by spraying with water when and where you can.

See also our Air and Water Quality page.


We recommended that no noise should be heard from the site outside of the following hours:

  • Saturday: 8am to 2pm
  • Sunday and Bank Holidays: none
  • Weekdays: 7.30am to 6pm

If you wish to work outside these hours on a construction site you, please contact

See also our Construction Working Hours page.

General noise nuisance

If we find something to be a statutory noise nuisance, we can serve an abatement notice, which would then be an offence not to control that noise.

This could depend on how loud the noise is, the duration of the noise and the frequency in which it occurs.

If you are concerned about on-going noise, we advise that where possible you approach those making a noise in the first instance. Often they will be unaware that they are disturbing you.

Advice can be found on the Noise Nuisance website.

If the noise persists after you have spoken to the source you can report it.

Report a Noise Complaint ›

If you are calling out of hours, please contact 01372 376533.

Please be advised you will be required to disclose your address and also the address of the source of the noise in order to proceed.

We cannot act on anonymous calls.

You may be required to fill in log sheets for evidence, recording how the noise is affecting you.