Cllr Phil Hammond
Liberal Democrat Member
Phil Hammond has worked in several business areas, latterly specialising in the management of companies in regulated sectors. He has a good knowledge of construction and currently works in the family business.
Phil has several special interests and goals:
- Creating more and better further education by improving college provision, transport for students and work experience.
- Tackling the shortage of truly affordable homes in the ‘social’, private rented and own segments of the market. Opening the market with ready-to-build sites for SME developers, community self-build and council direct build. Encouraging a wider mix of construction methods including system and modular construction.
- Accelerating the energy performance of existing homes. Homeowners need signposting to a trusted local network of specialist installers. Ideally, switching Government policy away from subsiding energy companies to subsiding the conservation of energy.
- Arguing for cycling safety. Cycling continues to grow, and the use of electric bikes will sustain this trend. Designated routes must connect our stations, schools and retail/service centres.
- Supporting community well-being. Dementia, mental health, addiction, disabilities, long-term illness, elderly care, and children with special needs, all improve when medical provision is supported with an active community framework.
- Preparing our infrastructure for electric vehicles. Despite cities and regions being keen to set up low carbon emission zones, successive governments have failed to plan or establish a reliable infrastructure. This does not apply to cars but also smaller delivery vehicles and small trucks.
Phil lives in Fetcham, close to his family and grandchildren. He works full time, keep fit and enjoys most sports. He stood for election for the first time in May 2023 and was elected as a Liberal Democrat Councillor.