Financial Help and Support

Help with household costs

Energy Support Scheme

Every household had a £400 discount on their energy bills for winter 2022 to 2023. This ended in March 2023.

Financial and Debt Support from Thames Water

Thames Water offer a variety of financial support schemes including discounts for low income households, bill caps and payment consolidation.

Learn more about eligibility and apply here.

Home Upgrade Scheme

Over £12m of grant funding is available for Surrey residents whose homes are not heated by gas, to make their homes more energy efficient and environmentally friendly.

For more details and to find out if you’re eligible – visit

Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding (EBBS)

This has now closed.

If you need help with an existing application, visit GOV.UK.

If you use alternative fuels for heating (Alternative Fuel Payment)

The Alternative Fuels Payment (AFP) is a one-off £200 payment to households that use alternatives to mains gas for heating, such as:

  • Bottled gas
  • Coal
  • Heating oil
  • Liquified petroleum gas (LPG)
  • Wood

Most homes will receive this as a credit on their electricity bill from February 2023.

If you do not automatically receive this payment you may need to apply through the AFP Alternative Fund.

Find out more about the Alternative Fuels Payment and Alternative Fund.

If you are unable to apply online or need help with your application, please ring on 0808 175 3943, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. The application deadline is 31 May 2023.

Warm Home Discount Scheme

The Warm Home Discount Scheme for winter 2022 to 2023 has closed. The scheme will reopen again in October 2023.

Read more at GOV.UK: Warm Home Discount Scheme.

Safe and Secure Grant

Support for older or disabled residents on lower income to improve safety and promote independence. Find out more about the Safe and Secure Grant.

Surrey Crisis Fund

discretionary fund providing financial help to residents who have nowhere else to turn in an emergency or after a disaster.

Tax-Free childcare

You can get up to £500 every three months (up to £2,000 a year) for each of your children to help with the costs of childcare.

Find out more and register at: GOV.UK: Tax-Free Childcare

Benefit-related support

If you are on a low income or are experiencing a change in financial circumstances, the Government offer a range of benefits and help to fulfil individual requirements:

Cost of Living payment

If you’re eligible, you will get an extra payment to help with the cost of living if you’re entitled to certain benefits or tax credits.

You may get a payment of £650 paid in two lump sums of £326 and £324 if you get payments of any of the following; Universal Credit, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support, Pension Credit, Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit.

The payment will be made separately from your benefit, and you do not need to apply, you’ll be paid automatically. Find out more on GOV.UK: Cost of Living Payment.

Pensioner Cost of Living Payment

A one-off £300 will be paid with Winter Fuel Payments to all pensioner households.

Disability Cost of Living Payment

£150 for those on eligible UK disability benefit from 20 September 2022.

Find out more at GOV.UK: Cost of Living Payment

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a benefit that helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough than you need someone to look after you.

Personal Independence Payment

The Personal Independence Payment is a benefit that can help with extra living costs if you have both:

  • a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability
  • difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition

Social Tariffs for Broadband and Mobile Phones

If you receive Universal Credit you could qualify for low-cost, reliable broadband and mobile phone packages. Find out more about eligibility here.

Household Support Fund

Funding has been allocated via the Department of Work and Pensions to help those families struggling financially in Surrey.

We work with various charities and community organisations to distribute the funds because those organisations work with residents in the areas that the fund was set up for. We work with:

Mole Valley District Council does not have a direct application process for the Household Support Fund – please do approach the organisations above if you need support with food, fuel and wider essentials to take advantage of this fund.

Individuals can also make applications to Surrey Crisis Fund who can help those struggling with cost of living.

The Household Support Fund is provided by the UK Government.