Planning Development Advice and Guidance

During the design process, developers of residential or commercial sites need to incorporate a number of standards in the development, including provision for parking and refuse.

New development in the green belt

We often get calls from customers who are being offered the ‘chance’ to buy a piece of land within the Green Belt, with a view to building a new dwelling.

Please be aware that the development of new dwellings within the green belt is contrary to national and local planning policies, and will not be granted planning permission.

Parking standards

Surrey County Council is the Highways Authority for Mole Valley providing guidance on highway issues.

See ‘Vehicular, electric vehicle and cycle parking guidance for new developments‘.

We may publish district-specific parking standards based on the guidance, but adapted to local circumstances.

In the interim, the guidance will be the starting point for decisions about parking provision on development sites, and is more up to date than the provisions of Policy MOV5 (Parking Standards) of the Mole Valley Local Plan.

Developments will normally be expected to accord with the guidance.

The Planning Authority will consider exceptions based upon the circumstances on site, including highway conditions, availability of on-street parking, and the accessibility of alternative modes of transport.

Prospective developers are therefore advised to seek pre-application advice from Surrey County Council about parking requirements on a specific site.

Sustainable drainage (SuDS)

Sustainable drainage systems for all major development has been delivered through the planning process, and Surrey County Council, in its capacity as Lead Local Flood Authority (LLFA), is now a statutory consultee on surface water management drainage issues.

An advice note, required evidence to demonstrate compliance, a Pro-Forma, and details of Pre-application charges are available on the Surrey County Council website.

Refuse and recycling arrangements

Joint Waste Solutions provide advice and guidance for developers to ensure that provisions for refuse and recycling services are made during the planning process.

Permitted Development (PD)

In most cases, you will also need planning permission to change the use of your premises, for example from a shop to an office or from a house to bedsits.

However, PD rights (i.e. planning permission is not required), among others, allow the change of use of offices (Class B1a) to residential (Class C3) use, provided the property is not listed, within a conservation area or a safety hazard area, and PD rights have not been removed with an Article 4 Direction.

The developer must submit details of the proposal to us, who then have 56 days to decide if prior approval is required.


For more information about applications relating to telecommunication masts, please see