Street Naming and Numbering
Residents can apply to change the name of their home and developers can alter the name of a street or new development.
Property name changes are permitted where the proposed name is not used in the local area and will not cause confusion when attempting to identify the property.
If your property has been allocated a number, you can still request to have a property name allocated to the address, however a name will not replace the number and should be considered only as an addition.
If your property has been allocated a number, it must be displayed so that it is easily visible from the street.
Please note that Royal Mail uses the property number, rather than a property name, to perform their postal duties. They will not recognise property names added to addresses that have been allocated a property number.
A charge applies for this service (see below).
We will name and number properties, so they are easy to identify a single building among others in the local area.
New properties will be numbered to reflect the existing official numbering scheme for that street. Numbers such as ‘1A’ will be used in cases where a property has been developed between two existing properties.
Where an official numbering scheme is not in place, then a name will be allocated to the property. If this is the case, all such names should be proposed by the developer and will be approved by us.
There are costs relating to new developments.
Why is it important?
- makes sure that post is delivered efficiently
- helps emergency services find a property quickly
- helps visitors to find where they want to go
- reliable delivery of products and services
- records of service providers to be kept in an efficient manner
We are not responsible for the allocation of postcodes in the district.
When a new development has been completed, we will request a postcode from the Royal Mail.
Charges from 1 April 2023
Please note: These charges are not subject to VAT.
- House name change: £63.60
- Changing the name of a block of flats: £118.72 for the first property, then £34.98 per additional flat
- Changing a street name: £863.90 for a street plus £66.78 per property
- Property Registration: £352.98 for the first plot plus £66.78 per additional plot
- Administrative Charge: £121.90 the cost for performing cases where substantial investigative work is required prior to committing to a specific SNN request. This charge will be waived where that work results in an official SNN case.
For more information email email@example.com