Unauthorised Encampments

If Gypsy, Roma or Travellers are found on council-owned land, as the landowner we are within our rights to take appropriate action to remove them.

However, councils nationwide are obliged to consider their presence for short periods and also to enquire whether there are any medical, social or educational reasons why that council should not move them on.

In certain circumstances, we may be able to help local private landowners with the eviction of Gypsy, Roma or Travellers, but generally it is the landowner’s responsibility to remove trespassers from the land.

Before taking any such action however, it is recommended that a landowner seeks professional advice.

The police have powers to serve a Direction to Move On for Gypsy, Roma or Travellers who have six or more caravans.

The police will usually require evidence of an increase in criminal activity in the area the Gypsy, Roma or Travellers are staying before taking action.

Surrey Police information about Unauthorised Encampments

To view the Policy and Procedure for Dealing with Unauthorised Encampments by Gypsies and Travellers, visit our Plans, Policies and Strategies page.

Reporting Unauthorised Encampments

To report incidents of Gypsy, Roma or Traveller unauthorised encampments on our land, call 01306 885001.

Private landowners should contact their own legal advisor or local Citizens Advice.

If you have evidence of crime or concerns about public order, please call the police on 101 or dial 999 in an emergency.