Food Complaints

We will investigate complaints about food sold within Mole Valley.

If you purchase food outside of Mole Valley, we can advise you which local authority to contact.

Enforcement duties

Enforcement duties for food complaints have been divided between the district and county councils.

We will investigate complaints of

  • Contamination by micro-organisms or their toxins
  • Contamination by mould or foreign matter / objects
  • Chemicals where there are hygiene implications and / or a possible imminent risk to health

Surrey County Council Trading Standards will investigate complaints of

  • Chemical contamination where there are no hygiene implications / imminent risk to health
  • Compositional offences, adulteration and misleading claims
  • Food sold after its best before or use by date
  • Presentation and labelling of food
  • Separate procedures are operated for allegations of food poisoning or food hygiene

Food poisoning

Symptoms of food poisoning include:

  • Feeling sick (nausea)
  • Diarrhoea
  • Being sick (vomiting)
  • Stomach cramps
  • A high temperature of 38C or above
  • Feeling generally unwell – such as feeling tired or having aches and chills

The symptoms usually start within a few days of eating the food that caused the infection. See the NHS website for more information.

Investigating food poisoning reports

If you think you got food poisoning from eating out in Mole Valley, report it to us and we will investigate.

Making a food complaint

When you make a complaint, we will need to know:

  • Your name, address, telephone number and email
  • The identity and contact address of the person who discovered the cause of the complaint, if it was not you
  • As much as possible about the food, where you bought it, when, the condition of the packaging etc.
  • The history to the point of discovery, did you have it delivered, did you buy it and take it home and where the product was stored
  • What you have done with it and any treatment (e.g. refrigeration or cooking) it has undergone while in your possession
  • The name and address of any witnesses who were present when you discovered the problem
  • Any ill effects or any injuries that were suffered
  • Whether you have been to hospital or contacted your doctor about any ill effects
  • Any contact you have had with the vendor or manufacturer
  • Any evidence you have including packaging, the complaint item, left over food, receipts etc

Make a Food Hygiene Complaint ›

If we think formal action is necessary, we will ask you to make a statement, and you may be asked to attend court and give evidence.

We will not seek to obtain or otherwise negotiate any compensation or redress on the behalf of the complainant(s).