Environmental Permits

We issue permits which set controls and emission standards to minimise pollution from certain industrial activities.

Activities that require a permit can be found in Part 2 of Schedule 1 of the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010.

Once a permit has been issued, we will undertake routine inspections. Those with a higher pollution potential will be inspected more often.

Activities requiring an environmental permit

There are three different parts for permits:

  • Part A1 installations are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Part A2 activities are regulated by the local council
  • Part B activities are regulated by the local council

The following activities require a permit:

  • An installation carrying out the activities listed in Schedule 1
  • Activities in energy, metals, minerals, chemicals and waste
  • A waste operation. This includes the disposal or recovery of waste which is not exempt under the EP Regulations
  • A mobile plant carrying out one of the above activities or waste operations


You must obtain and pay for a permit to operate.

For more information email env.health@molevalley.gov.uk or visit the DEFRA website.


Local Authority Pollution Control: general guidance manual