Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
There are simple actions you can take to both reduce the amount of waste you produce and save money.
Buy only what you need
Try to resist the urge to go shopping when you don’t actually need anything and when buying something new, ask yourself if you genuinely need it.
Avoid single-use items
- Switch to rechargeable batteries
- Take a reusable water out with you – see where you can fill your water bottle in Mole Valley on the Refill App
- Use a takeaway coffee cup
- Use reusable bags when you go shopping
Choose products without, or with less packaging
- Shop in zero-waste shops, such as Eco Be in Dorking and the Greenwise shops in Ashtead and Fetcham
- Buy loose produce and use reusable fruit and veg bags
- Avoid products with unnecessary ‘gift’ packaging
Keep it local
- Buy products which have originated from the UK
- Support our local businesses to reduce your carbon impact
- Buy and donate your second-hand clothing
Repair and upcycle
Get in touch with your nearest Repair Café to see if someone local to you has the skills to help.
The Love Your Clothes website is packed with tips on how to care for and repair clothes, plus advice on how to choose clothing that will last, and what to do with unwanted items
Upcycling is a great to refashion and repurpose items you might have otherwise thrown out. Tips on how to upcycle a variety of different items can be found on the Surrey Environment Partnership website.
Get rewarded for your waste
Rethink Waste is a scheme to incentivise Mole Valley residents to reduce their waste and help the planet.
By signing up online, you will see lots of hints and tips on how to reduce your waste, plus you can earn rewards for your efforts.