Visit GOV.UK for:

Visit the Environment Agency for information on flooding in your area.

For help and advice call Floodline on 0345 988 1188. When prompted, enter 01124212, this relates to all flooding to the River Mole.

More resources to help you plan and respond:

Who to contact in the event of a flood

River flooding

  • Environment Agency (24-hour floodline)
  • 0345 988 118

Roadside gullies (blocked and water can’t enter)

  • Surrey County Council
  • 03456 009 009

Sewer flooding

  • Thames Water’s 24-hour customer service
  • 0800 316 9800

Assistance to buy essential items (criteria applies)

  • Citizen’s Advice
  • 084444 111 444


To report a loss of power or if you are concerned about safety contact UK Power Networks:

  • call 105 (free service) to report or get information about a power cut
  • freephone 0800 31 63 105 (from a landline) or local charge 0333 32 32105 (from a mobile) to report a power cut
  • visit Power Cut 105 for further information

If you would feel particularly vulnerable during a power cut, sign up to the Priority Services Register.

National Gas Safety and Emergencies can be contacted on 0800 111 999.

Flood protection


We keep a limited stock of sandbags at

  • depot site on Curtis Road in Dorking
  • Randalls Road car park in Leatherhead

Sandbags can be bought from most builders’ merchants.

We cannot guarantee the supply of sandbags during periods of high demand and residents living in those areas at risk of flooding should try to make their own flood protection arrangements.

We do not deliver sandbags to individual households.

Disposal of sandbags

You should dispose of sandbags that have been contaminated with petrol, oil, diesel or sewage at a Community Recycling Centre.

Those that have not been contaminated should be kept for reuse. To prolong their life it is best to store them under cover so that they can stay dry.

Sandbags are heavy: take care when filling and handling sandbags to avoid injury.

Protecting your property

There are other ways to protect your property, e.g using proprietary barriers. See GOV.UK for information.

The British Standards Institution has given a ‘Kitemark’ to various flood protection products.

The National Flood Forum website has a directory of flood protection products.

There is no guarantee that any flood protection system will work and it should be made clear that neither us, the government or the Environment Agency endorses a particular product or supplier.

It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure the products are appropriate for their property, fit for purpose, correctly fitted and meet their specific needs.

Also, be careful to consider all the ways which water can enter your property. For example, in addition to flood boards across your doorways, you may also need to install airbrick covers and non-return valves on your drainage system.

Flood plan

The Environment Agency has prepared a handy template to help you make your own flood plan.

In addition:

  • have a few sandbags or floorboards prepared to block doorways and airbricks
  • make up a flood kit, including a torch, blankets, waterproof clothing, wellingtons, a portable radio (battery operated), first aid kit, rubber gloves and key personal documents
  • talk about possible flooding with your family or those you live with
  • make sure you know where to turn off your gas and electricity
  • where will you move your pets? See the RSPCA for advice
  • where could you move your car to?
  • store valuable or sentimental personal belongings upstairs or in a high place downstairs
  • think about medication

Traffic and travel

Do not travel in heavy rain unless absolutely necessary, surface water on roads could make driving conditions hazardous.

Visit National Highways for the lat­est traf­fic infor­ma­tion for major road networks.

Information on bus service disruption due to adverse weather, can be found on the Surrey County Council website.

Health advice

GOV.UK has plenty of health advice to support those impacted by flooding:

Damage caused by flooding

  • if furniture or property is damaged contact your insurers
  • don’t dispose of any flood-damaged items until your insurers have agreed that you should do so
  • the Association of British Insurers has useful information on what to expect from your home insurer

Any additional council tax incurred as a result of flooding, should be claimed through household insurance. If your property is not covered by insurance, you might be eligible for financial support through the Discretionary discount.