Emergency Contacts

Mole Valley District Council – weekdays 9am to 5pm call 01306 885001.

We provide two specific out of hours services:

  1. Building Control: Dangerous Structures – out of hours call 01883 722000
  2. Homelessness – out of hours call 0300 123 7718

If you find a dog out of office hours, including weekends and bank holidays call 0300 123 7718.

If there is any other emergency issue which you believe requires an immediate response our of hours call 0300 123 7718.


On roads

Report trees blocking roads and pavements to Surrey County Council

Report trees blocking motorways to the Highways England or call 0300 123 5000.

on Mole Valley land

Report fallen trees on council land to us on 01306 885001, 9am to 5pm or out of hours call 0300 123 7718.


See our ‘Flooding‘ page for more information.

Other emergency contacts

  • in an emergency dial 999
  • dial 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response
  • visit the Surrey Police website
  • Call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

For blockages or if your property has been flooded by a public sewer contact Thames Water on 0800 316 9800.

UK Power Networks

  • Call 105 (free service) to report or get information about a power cut
  • Freephone 0800 31 63 105 (from a landline) or local charge 0333 32 32105 (from a mobile) to report a power cut
  • Visit Power Cut 105 for further information

If you would feel particularly vulnerable during a power cut, sign up to the Priority Services Register.

If you can smell gas, are worried you have a gas leak or that fumes containing carbon monoxide are leaking from one of your appliances, visit National Gas Safety and Emergencies or call their free phone number 0800 111 999.

For further information, please see guidance on contacting the gas emergency line.

If your home has a total loss of gas supply you should contact your supplier.

Samaritans – provides confidential non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which could lead to suicide.

If your home has a total loss of water supply, contact the supplier you pay your water bill to.

In Mole Valley, it’s likely to be:

Resources to help residents plan and respond

The Surrey Fire and Rescue Service Community Risk Profile has been created to demonstrate and understand and assess the risks facing all communities, those who live and work in Surrey and the people who visit Surrey.

Surrey Prepared helps Surrey residents and businesses to be as prepared and resilient as possible.