Disablement Relief

Disabled people are helped with their council tax through the disabled band reduction scheme. This makes sure disabled people don’t pay more council tax because they needed a larger property due to their disability.

Having a disability does not automatically entitle you to a reduction. In summary, the requirements for a reduction are the property must be the main residence of at least one disabled person. It must also have at least one of

  • an additional bathroom or kitchen required to meet the needs of the disabled person
  • a room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) required to meet the needs of the disabled person, and used predominantly by them
  • extra space inside the property to allow for the use of a wheelchair – wheelchairs for outdoor use only are excluded

The room or the wheelchair must also be of major importance to the disabled person’s well-being, due to the extent of their disability.

‘Disabled person’ in this context means a person who is substantially and permanently disabled. The disabled person can be either an adult or a child and does not have to be responsible for paying the council tax bill.

An extra room does not need to have been specially built. But your home will not qualify for a reduction unless the ‘essential or of major importance’ test above is met. For example, simply rearranging rooms is unlikely to make your home eligible for a reduction.

If your home is eligible, your bill will be reduced to that of a property in the next council tax band down. For example, a Band D property will be charged a Band C rate. Even if your property is in Band A (the lowest band) you will still receive a reduction. If your property is in Band A the relief will be equivalent to one ninth of the Band D charge.
Apply for Disablement Relief

For further information, please email council.tax@molevalley.gov.uk.