Paying Rent and Council Tax

Paying rent

If you are struggling to pay rent on your council house, you will need to apply for Universal Credit.

If you get housing benefit or Universal Credit which includes housing costs, and are struggling financially, you could get some additional help from a short-term Discretionary Housing Payment.

Paying Council Tax

If you need help paying your council tax, you may be able to get Council Tax support.

What can you do?

This article about ‘Dealing with the financial impact of rising costs of living‘ from the Financial Conduct Authority provides information to help you get back on track.

You may be entitled to some benefits increasing your income. Check which benefits you’re entitled to through an online benefits calculator.

Effective budgeting is essential – look at your priority and non-essential expenses and see where you can make changes. The Money Advice Service is a free and independent service set up by the government to help people manage their money. Citizens Advice can also help, contact them for assistance.

Useful tips on how to save water in the home can be found on the SES Water website.

Social tariffs can provide a safety net for customers who might be struggling to afford their broadband or phone services. You can find more information on the Ofcom website.

If you have a low income, the NHS Low Income Scheme could help you pay for:

  • NHS prescription charges
  • NHS dental treatment charges
  • the cost of sight tests, glasses and contact lenses
  • the cost of travelling to receive NHS treatment
  • NHS wigs and fabric supports (check with your hospital for their arrangements for supplying NHS wigs)

The Money Saving Expert website has some useful information and tools to help with household bills.

For quick energy saving tips, see the Energy Saving Trust website.

Stripey Stork provides a vital service for Surrey families by providing practical essentials for their babies and children.