Appeals and Disputes

If you are unhappy with your business rates, you can make an appeal but you must continue to pay your business rates while your appeal is outstanding.

If you disagree with your rateable value

If you think your rateable value is wrong, you need to contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).

The VOA will compare your value with similar properties in the area and consider any other reasons you have mentioned.

The valuation officer will notify us of the appeal outcome and a bill will be issued advising any changes to the amount payable, if your appeal has been successful.

The VOA can be contacted in writing:

The Valuation Officer, Valuation Office Agency, Durham Customer Service Centre, Wycliffe House, Green Lane, Durham, DH1 3UW

or call 03000 501 501.

More information is available on GOV.UK.

Check, challenge, appeal

Check: find and review business rates valuation.

Challenge: once the facts are established, explain why you believe your valuation is wrong.

Appeal: An appeal on your rateable value is not possible, and may not be necessary, until you have completed check and challenge.

If you believe your business rates bill  or your liability for payment is wrong, email or call 01306 879295.

Please provide your:

  • legal entity
  • reference number on your account(s)
  • explain, with reasons, what you object to

Disagreeing with the date on a completion notice

If you have been served a completion notice on a new or altered building and you think that the building cannot  be expected to be completed by the date shown on the notice, you should contact us immediately or by returning the bottom of the completion notice slip to Revenues Section, Mole Valley, District Council, Pippbrook, Dorking, Surrey, RH4 1SJ.

Alternatively, scan and send it to but if agreement on the date cannot be reached you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

An appeal should be made within four weeks of the date on which the notice was served.