Single Person Discount

Your full council tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

Your council tax bill will be reduced by 25% if you count as an adult for Council Tax and either:

  • you live on your own
  • no-one else in your home counts as an adult

You will get a 50% discount if no-one living in your home, including you, counts as an adult.

For houses that contain full-time students only, the bill will be reduced by 100%.

Apply for a Single Person Discount ›

Who doesn't count as an adult?

These people are not counted as adults for Council Tax:

  • children under 18
  • people on apprentice schemes
  • 18 and 19-year-olds who are in full-time education
  • full-time college and university students*
  • young people under 25 who receive funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People's Learning Agency
  • student nurses
  • foreign language assistants registered with the British Council
  • people who have a severe mental impairment
  • live-in carers who look after someone who isn't their partner, spouse or child (up to 18 years)
  • diplomats

*Students must be on a full-time course. Your course must last at least one calendar or academic year, with at least 21 hours of study per week, 24 weeks per year. If you're under 20 years old and completing your A-levels, your course must, last at least three months with at least 12 hours of study per week.

Apply for a Student Discount ›

If you think you may qualify for a single person discount and would like to apply, please email or call the Revenues team on 01306 879293.

Last Updated: 05/01/2018

Printer Friendly Version

Do you have any comments about this page?

If you feel this page on 'Single Person Discount' could be improved then please let us know here

For general enquiries use Report it, Apply for it or Contact Us