Article 4 Directions & Restrictions on Permitted Development
This page provides information about additional local planning controls on changes of use and other building work.
Article 4 Directions
Article 4 Directions remove the right to carry out certain types of 'permitted development'. If you want to do work that is covered by an Article 4 Direction you will first need to apply for planning permission. Within the District there are two main types of Article 4 Direction:
- Article 4 directions which restricting changes of use from offices/ light industrial to residential
- Article 4 directions for additional planning controls in Conservation Areas
Article 4 Directions Office to residential
At the Executive Meeting on 25 October, Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) agreed to commence the making of directions under Article 4(1) of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015. This formal process involving notification and consultation has commenced on a number of sites or areas in the District the details about these and the stage that they have reached are set out below.
The directions are necessary to ensure proper planning to support economic development in Mole Valley. This is in line with MVDC Core Strategy Policy CS12 which seeks to safeguard and recycle accessible and well located industrial and commercial sites for employment use. There is a demand for good quality office space in Mole Valley, the supply of which has been significantly undermined by the conversion of office premises to residential uses under the new Prior Approval process as introduced in 2013. A recent assessment of the current and future office market supports the need to protect certain office buildings and locations from conversion to residential use. The justification for the Directions was presented to the Secretary of State who has not objected to the Directions that are now in force.
Details and Relevant Regulations
The Directions relate to development consisting of the use of a building and any land within its curtilage to a use falling within Class C3 (Dwelling Houses) of the Schedule to the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 from a use falling within Class B1(a) (Offices).
This relates to development comprised within Class O of Part 3 of Schedule 2 to the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 and not being development comprised within any other Class, and removes permitted development rights for this type of development from the date when the direction comes into force. The directions do not apply to development which received prior approval before the date on which the directions come into force and where that development is completed within three years of the prior approval date.
MVDC has chosen to pursue a non-immediate Article 4 direction and it is intended that the directions will come into force, at least one year after the making of the directions, subject to consideration of responses from relevant consultations. Following formal confirmation, planning permission would then be required for any change of use from offices to residential use. The list below sets out the details about which areas have Article 4 directions in progress or confirmed in MVDC.
For associated documents and supporting evidence (see 'Downloads')
For further information refer to the Planning Portal.
Current Consultations on Article 4 Directions
- Parsonage House, Station Road, Dorking, Springfield Drive, Leatherhead and Wates House, Station Approach, Leatherhead - representations are invited between 5 April and 5pm on 18 May 2018
- Abinger House, Church Street, in Dorking and in Leatherhead; Federation House at Highbury Drive, Kings Court & Bay Tree Avenue, Regents Park & Brook Way - representations are invited between 19 April and 5pm on 18 May 2018
Land in the Following Locations have Confirmed Article 4 Directions - Office to Residential;
- Dorking Office Park, Station Road, Dorking, RH4 1HJ
- Parsonage Square, Station Road, Dorking, RH4 1UP
- Station Approach, Dorking
- Park Lodge, London Road, Dorking
- Sabre House, 150 South Street, Dorking
- The Square, Randalls Way, Leatherhead
- The Crescent, Leatherhead Town Centre
- Guildford Road, Leatherhead Town Centre
- Cleeve Road, Leatherhead
- Cleeve Road Business Parks, Leatherhead
This list is a summary so please check 'Downloads' or through a land search of the exact location of the Article 4 land.