Dead Animals

Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) street cleaning contractors will collect any dead animals they see, or are reported to them, on the highway.

Report a Dead Animal ›

Any dogs or cats picked up are reported to Environmental Health at Pippbrook (Dorking) and a log is kept of these reports.

If your dog or cat does go missing it may be worth reporting it. All domestic animals picked up from the highway are scanned for micro chips and the pet owner will be notified if possible.

Injured animals

Injured animals should be reported to the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.

Private property

Animals found dead on private property are the responsibility of the land owner to remove. However, if you are unsure of how to dispose of a dead animal, please call 01306 885001 for advice.

Dead birds

If you find five or more dead wild birds including seagulls or garden birds, or dead waders, ducks, geese or swans, please do not touch them. Call the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) on 03459 335577.

DEFRA may wish to have the birds examined for signs of specific diseases. They may advise on what action you should take if required.

Environment Agency incident hotline

You can report an incident to the Environment Agency's 24 hour freephone service, including large animals, such as deer found dead in a watercourse, by calling 0800 80 70 60.