Emergency Services

In an emergency, call 999 and request the service you require. Do not panic. The operators are trained to guide you through the process.

When you are put through to the relevant service, they will want to know:

  • the name and number of the house or building if relevant
  • the road or street name
  • the town or village name
  • the nature of the incident
  • if the incident is in the open, you may be asked for other information such as nearby landmarks


You can report a minor incident or non-urgent crime by calling 101. These 101 calls costs 15p per call from both mobile phones and landlines, no matter how long the call lasts or what time of day it's made. Calls to 101 from telephone boxes are free.

As an alternative to 101 - a geographical number - 01483 571212 - is also available for customers who may be unable to use the 101 service (for example, if calling from abroad).

The Surrey Police website contains more details about crime and how to contact your local neighbourhood team.


Crimestoppers is an independent charity that guarantees your anonymity. When calling, you will speak to someone who is fully trained but who will never ask for your identity. They will then pass on the information to the police.

Call Crimestoppers with information about crime 24/7 on 0800 555 111.


Surrey Fire and Rescue offer advice on escape plans and fire alarms, along with what to do if a fire breaks out in your home.


The South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Trust is part of the National Health Service (NHS). The trust responds to 999 calls from the public, urgent calls from health professionals and in Kent and Sussex, provides non-emergency patient transport services (pre-booked patient journeys to and from healthcare facilities).