Emergency Contact Numbers

Mole Valley District Council (weekdays between 9am and 5pm) - 01306 885001

Out of Hours Arrangements

We provide two specific out of hours services:

Building Control - Dangerous Structures: Local authorities have a legal duty to provide a 24/7 service to deal with buildings or structures so that there is no danger to people. Out of hours, this service can be accessed on 01883 722000.

Homelessness: We provide a homelessness service. If somebody finds that they have nowhere to stay and our offices are closed, they can call 0300 123 7718. 

If you find a dog outside office hours (including weekends and bank holidays) please call the out of hours number on 0300 123 7718 to report it.

If there is any other emergency issue which you believe requires an immediate response - contact us on 0300 123 7718.

Trees on roads

Report trees blocking roads and pavements to Surrey County Council 

Report trees blocking motorways to the Highways England or call 0300 123 5000.

Trees on Mole Valley land

Report fallen trees on council land call Mole Valley District Council on 01306 885001 (9am-5pm) or on 0300 123 7718 out of hours.


Up to date information on flooding in your area is available from the Environment Agency or call Floodline on 0345 988 1188.

Flooding: planning, managing and recovering from a flood (gov.uk) contains advice on planning for flooding before it happens, what to do during a flood and recovering and cleaning up after a flood.


Sandbags are not a very efficient way of protecting your property. Another way to protect your property is by using proprietary barriers. However, MVDC does maintain a limited stock of sandbags at the depot site on Curtis Road, Dorking and Randalls Road car park, Leatherhead. Alternatively, sandbags can be bought from most builders' merchants.

Please note that MVDC cannot guarantee the supply of sandbags during periods of high demand and residents living in those areas at risk of flooding should try to make their own flood protection arrangements in the first instance. MVDC does not deliver sandbags to individual households.

For more information, please call 01306 885001.

Other emergency contacts

Crime / Police/Fire

In an emergency please dial 999, or 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response. For further information please access the Surrey Police website.

In an emergency fire situation, please dial 999. For further information please access the Surrey Fire and Rescue website.


If you think there is a blockage or if your property has been flooded by a public sewer contact Thames Water on 0800 316 9800.


UK Power Networks

Call 105 (free service) to report or get information about a power cut. It will put you through to your local electricity network operator - the company that manages the cables, wires and substations that bring electricity into homes and businesses in your area.

Freephone 0800 31 63 105 (from a landline) or local charge 0333 32 32105 (from a mobile) to report a power cut. Visit Power Cut 105 website for further information.

If you would feel particularly vulnerable during a power cut, you can sign up to the Priority Services Register.


If you can smell gas, are worried you have a gas leak or that fumes containing carbon monoxide are leaking from one of your appliances, please see National Grid Gas Safety and Emergencies or call their free phone number: 0800 111 999.

In such situations, do not create a flame or operate any electrical switches and appliances such as lights, televisions etc. You should put out flames, open doors and windows, keep people away from the area and turn the gas off at the control valve.

For further information, please see guidance on contacting the gas emergency line.

If your home has a total loss of gas supply you should contact your supplier.

Medical / NHS

For emergencies call 999, otherwise call 111 - Medical Emergency, NHS 111 service.

Roads and traffic

The latest traffic updates are available from the Traffic England website. For information on roadworks and road closures check the Surrey County Council's roadworks map.


Samaritans - provides confidential non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which could lead to suicide. 

Water supply

If your home has a total loss of water supply, contact the supplier you pay your water bill to. In Mole Valley, it's likely to be:

Resources to help residents plan and respond

Surrey’s community risk register

The community risk register(opens in new tab) allows you to see all risks and threats to Surrey, their likelihood and potential magnitude as well as planned mitigation for them.

Surrey Prepared

Surrey Prepared was developed by the Surrey Community Resilience Partnership (SCRP) with a commitment to helping Surrey residents and businesses to be as prepared and resilient as possible.

Find out more on the Surrey Prepared website.


Sign up for Flood warnings (GOV.UK)