Standards of Conduct

It is important that both elected councillors and council staff operate to the highest levels of conduct at all times.

Whether you are a resident, one of Mole Valley District Council (MVDC)'s partners, a member of staff or another councillor, if you feel that these high standards have not been met, MVDC has systems in place to ensure that any complaints are fairly, yet robustly investigated.

Standards Committee

The Standards Committee's role is to promote, monitor and enforce ethical standards in the council and the 13 parish councils in Mole Valley. This includes all matters relating to the Members' Code of Conduct and allegations of misconduct made against councillors. Under the provisions of the Localism Act 2011, a new Independent Person has been appointed who acts in a consultative role and whose opinions can be sought about the most appropriate way to deal with alleged complaints.

Standards of Behaviour

As a requirement of the Localism Act 2011, MVDC adopted a new Code of Conduct, together with arrangements for assessing and investigating complaints.

Register of Interests and Gifts and Hospitality

The Localism Act 2011 introduced a requirement for all councillors to register Disclosable Pecuniary Interests and other interests required under the Code of Conduct, e.g. any property they own, any shares and business interests, their employment details and any other public or charitable bodies on which they sit or have been appointed - see our Standards Committee Details page.

In addition, councillors are required to register separately any gifts or hospitality with a value of more than £25 that they have received. For more information, please contact the Monitoring Officer by emailing

Making a Complaint

For more information about how to make a complaint about a councillor, please download the document Arrangements for Dealing with Complaints.

For more information, please contact the Monitoring Officer by emailing

Should you wish to make a complaint about a member of staff, please either write to: the Complaints Officer, MVDC, Pippbrook, Dorking, Surrey RH4 1SJ or email