How to Appeal

If you believe your council tax bill is wrong, here is information about how and when to appeal.

Valuation bands in England are based on property values on 1 April 1991, not what a property is worth today. You can challenge your Council Tax band if you think it's wrong, but you should continue to pay your Council Tax bill while you do this.

An appeal can be made by a liable person, anyone with a superior interest in the property (normally the owner) and the billing authority. The right of appeal exists for six months from one of the following:

  • the property being entered on the local authority banding list
  • a change of ownership or the start date of a long lease
  • a material change in circumstance which detrimentally affects the value of the property

You can ask the Valuation Office Agency to check your Council Tax band by calling them on 0300 0501 501. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm.

Appeals against the inclusion or exclusion of a property in the Valuation List or the actual band applied to a property should be made online through the GOV.UK website or in writing to: The Valuation Officer, Valuation Office Agency, Durham Customer Service Centre, Wycliffe House, Green Lane, Durham, DH1 3UW. 

Appeals against other matters, such as being wrongly named on the bill, or the amount of the bill being incorrect, must initially be made in writing to the Revenues Section or via email to the below address.

For further information, email

Where agreement cannot be reached in either of the above situations, the matter may be referred to a Valuation Tribunal to decide the outcome.