Temporary Event Notice


Temporary Event Notice 

If you wish to hold an occasional event in England or Wales that involves the sale of alcohol or the provision of entertainment, you must give a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

We advise you apply for your TEN at least six weeks before the event. Don't leave it to the last minute in case there is an objection or problem.

If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities, applications must be made to each.

You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation.

You must keep your TEN in a safe place when the event is held. You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.

Minimum Notice Periods

Standard TEN:10 working days - exclusive of the day on which the event is to start, and exclusive of the day on which the notice is given.

Late TEN : 9-5 working days - exclusive of the day on which the event is to start, and exclusive of the day on which the notice is given (you can only have two of these per calendar year as a non-personal licence holder and if the Police or Pollution Control Authority object, the TEN will be invalid). 


  • you must be 18 years or over to apply for a TEN
  • your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours (seven days) with a minimum of 24 hours between your event and the start or finish of another Temporary Event Notice.

Number of notices you can apply for

  • you can only be given a maximum of five TENs per year if you do not hold a personal licence under the Licensing Act 2003. If you do hold a personal licence, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year, however you are limited to a maximum number of TENs per premises.
  • premises are limited to a maximum duration covered by temporary event notices that is 21 days per calendar year or 15 TENs per calendar year for each premise, whichever is used up first.  

Applying for a Temporary Event Notice

The TEN costs £21. You will need a debit or credit card to pay the fee online.

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice ›

If you are unable to apply online, please read our guidance notes on how you can post the TEN. Unless you submit an electronic application, the police and local authority exercising environmental health functions for the area in which the premises are located must also be served a copy of your notice and receive it with the minimum notice periods set out above.


The Council can't refuse a notice unless the police or Environmental Health object to it. They must do this within three working days of receiving it. They can only object if they think your event could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm

If there's an objection, the Council's licensing committee will hold a meeting (called a 'hearing') no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing isn't needed).

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

If the police or Environmental Health object to a late TEN, the notice won't be valid and you can't hold the event.


If you disagree with the licensing committee's decision, you can appeal to your local magistrates' court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least five working days before the date of your event.

Fines and penalties

You could be fined if you make any false statements in your application, or face prosecution if you breach the terms of the notice.

If you don't have a TEN and carry out an activity that you should have a licence for (or allow your premises to be used for one), you can be fined, sent to prison for up to six months, or both.

For more information, please visit the GOV.UK website, email licensing@molevalley.gov.uk or call 01306 885001.