Planning a Street Party

Street parties are a great way for neighbours to get to know each other, communities to come together and for lasting friendships to be made.

To mark the Coronation of King Charles III there will be a three-day bank holiday weekend from Saturday 6th May 2023. If you planning to close a public road for a street party, please complete the Event Road Closure form via the link below. If you have any questions please get in touch with us on or 01306 885001.

Closing the road 

To close a public road for a street party, you will need MVDC's permission. You do not need permission to close a private road, but it is recommended to consult with all residents and ensure that there is access for emergency vehicles. If you would like to advise MVDC of an event on a private road, please email 

The deadlines for the submission of a road closure application for the Coronation are as follows:

  • High Street or Main Road – Sunday 12th February 2023. You will need to provide an Event Management Plan, Traffic Management Plan and Risk Assessment by the 12th February. Evidence of consultation with impacted residents/businesses and £10million Public Liability Insurance will also be required. It is recommended that you consider employing a Traffic Management company to manage the road closure and documentation.

  • Through Road – Sunday 12th March 2023. You will need to provide evidence of consultation with impacted residents/businesses and a Traffic Management Plan. This needs to include maps with details of the diversion route and signage that will be in place.

  • Cul-de-sac – Sunday 9th April 2023. You will need to provide evidence of consultation with impacted residents/businesses.


Apply for an Event Road Closure ›


Plan Ahead

Small street parties take place in one or two streets and are for neighbours only. The Communities and Local Government website offers a useful guide to organising a street party.

If you are planning a large public event, see Organising a Large Public Event page.

Points To Consider

  • Plan in advance
  • Involve everyone and ensure that all impacted residents and businesses are consulted
  • Agree timings – for safety reasons, it is recommended that the street party finishes in daylight hours
  • To reduce the impact on resident and businesses avoid closing long stretches of road
  • When considering the diversion route, ensure that it is on similar sized roads and obtain signage. For more information on signage, please visit MVDC have limited signage available – please email All signs must conform to the Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 8
  • You will need to ensure that the emergency services can still get down the street if they need to. If the road you want to close is on a bus route, you will also need to contact the bus company as a diversion may be required.
  • If you the road is covered by parking permits, you will need to consult all permit holders within the parking zone. This may involve consulting with residents on the surrounding streets.
  • If you are organising a neighbourhood street party where you will bring your own food, alcohol and music, you do not need a licence. If you are planning an event where the sale of alcohol will take place, or amplified music will be played, you will need to purchase a temporary events notice from MVDC.
  • Bunting – If you would like to hang bunting over or along the roadside or from street lighting, you will need to get permission from SCC six weeks in advance. You will also need to get permission from SCC for attaching lighting to street lamps.
  • Clear up afterwards
  • Be aware of noise for those who are not participating


MVDC does not charge for the work undertaken to achieve a road closure and therefore expects all applicants to understand that they meet the costs of any responsibilities they must undertake to comply with the 'Conditions of a Road Closure'.