Street Trading and Charity Collections

Information relating to selling goods or collecting charity in the street.

Street Trading consent

You will need to obtain Street Trading consent from Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) before trading in a designated area of the district as there are certain areas in Mole Valley where trading is prohibited.

If you intend to street trade in food, e.g. ice cream, burger van etc, you first need to contact MVDC for further advice. You are also required to register with the Environmental Health food team if your business base is located in Mole Valley. Please email or call 01306 885001.

You can apply for a street trading consent online via GOV.UK.

For details on fees and charges, visit Environmental Health Fees and Charges.

Please note that tacit consent does not apply in respect of this application. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Charitable collections

If you would like to collect money for charity on the street, you will need to apply to MVDC for a free permit.

House-to-house collections

If you would like to make a collection for money or goods from house-to-house for charitable, benevolent or philanthropic purposes, you will need to obtain a free permit from MVDC unless the charity is exempt.

Normally house-to-house collections invite cash donations but, if you are collecting goods, you will also need to have a permit. MVDC will no longer accept yearly block bookings for house-to-house collections.

Street collections

You will need a permit issued by MVDC if you would like to collect money or goods in any street or public place for the benefit of charitable or other purposes. It is an offence to collect without a permit.


To apply for a free collection permit online, visit GOV.UK. For guidance, please email or call 01306 879301.


Tacit consent applies to both house-to-house and street collection permits. If you have not received your permit or any contact from MVDC within 10 working days, you can assume that your permit has been issued and your collection can go ahead.


MVDC is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and, to this end, may use the information you have provided in order to access this service for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

For more information, please visit the Fraud and Corruption web page.

Report Licensing Complaint ›