Houses in Multiple Occupation

Certain Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO's) are required to be licensed by Mole Valley District Council (MVDC).

What is a HMO?

A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is any residential property that is occupied by three or more people who form two or more households, and who share one or more facility/amenities, such as a WC, bathroom and a kitchen.

What is a Household?

A household is members of the same family including cohabiting couples.

When does a HMO require a licence?

A HMO requires a licence if all of the following apply:

  • There are five or more people living in the property.
  • There are two or more households living in the property.
  • The occupants share one or more of HMO's facilities/amenities.

What do you need to do if you are operating a HMO?

If you are a landlord or manager and need to apply for a HMO licence, contact Environmental Health on 01306 879301.

Each HMO will require an inspection by a member of the Environmental Health team to ensure it meets acceptable management standards, has adequately sized bedrooms, has sufficient amenities and has the required fire safety measures.

A fee of £687 will be payable to obtain a licence, a discount of £50 is applicable for those who are members of a recognised nation landlord's association.

The following will be required when applying for a licence:

  • a valid gas safety certificate for the HMO (where applicable)
  • a valid fire detection commissioning certificate (for new installations) or a valid fire detection servicing certificate (for existing installations) where applicable
  • a valid emergency lighting certificate, where applicable
  • a valid electrical fixed installation certificate
  • a valid energy performance certificate

Even if the HMO does not require a licence you must make MVDC aware as we may need to inspect the HMO to ensure it has adequate fire safety measures.

Applying for a licence

Complete an electronic application on GOV.UK. Alternatively, please email An Environmental Health Officer will advise you about licensing and the steps that have to be taken to apply for a licence.

Tacit consent does not apply to these licences as it is in the public interest for MVDC to process your application before it is granted.

if you have concerns regarding disrepair please see repairs to your rented home.

Mole Valley District Council - Public Register of HMO Licences (updated 16.04.2021)

Licence Number Address of HMO Maximum Permitted Occupancy Licence Holder Contact Details Address Licence Valid From Licence Expiry Date Number of Floors Temporary Exemption Notice
3 11 Poplar Road
5 Simon Harding Woodsend Farm House
South Street
Boughton - Under-Bleam
19.03.14 14.05.24 4 No
54299 38 Fairs Road
7 David Hamer Westleigh
Farm Lane
05.11.18 29.11.23 2 No
54300 40 Randalls Crescent Leatherhead 5 David Hamer Westleigh
Farm Lane
15.11.18 29.11.23 2 No
54352 Avalon
43 Woodfield Lane
9 Daniel Osborne  43 Woodfield Lane
11.12.18 07.01.24 2 No
54353 27 Kingscroft Road Leatherhead 8 David Hamer Westleigh
Farm Lane
12.12.18 07.01.24 3 No
54524 Garth Lodge
Tower Hill
5 Paul Jeffery   Bradbury House
830 The Crescent
Colchester Business Park,
Colchester, Essex
20.12.18 20.01.24 2 No
55696 92 Kingston Road
6 Simon Harding Woodsend Farm House
South Street
Boughton - Under-Bleam
04.10.19 04.10.24 2 No
55164 Wotton Hatch
Guildford Road
6 Mitchells and Butler Retail Ltd   Mitchells & Butler Retail Ltd
27 Fleet Street
25.02.20 25.02.25 2 No
54827 1b St Johns Road
6 Tracy Whiting   Flat 4
St Johns Road
24.04.19 24.04.24 2 No
58738 332 Kingston Road
K22 7QE
6 Avtar Sahota   Heatherdown
Fair Oak Lane
28.12.20 26.01.26 2 No