Business Rates Appeals and Disputes

If you are unhappy with your business rates, you can make an appeal. If you decide to make an appeal, you must continue to pay your business rates while your appeal is outstanding.

If you disagree with your rateable value

If you think your rateable value is wrong, you need to contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). The VOA will compare your rateable value with similar properties in the area and consider any other reasons you have mentioned.

The Valuation Officer will notify Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) of the appeal outcome and a bill will be issued advising any changes to the amount payable, if your appeal has been successful.

The VOA can be contacted in writing: The Valuation Officer, Valuation Office Agency, Durham Customer Service Centre, Wycliffe House, Green Lane, Durham, DH1 3UW or on 03000 501 501.

More information about what to do if you disagree with your rateable value is available on GOV.UK.

BA Content for Check Challenge Appeal

This will only apply to 2017 rateable values from 1 April.

You can click, find and review your rateable value on the VOA's website.  If you have reason to believe that your 2017 rateable value is not correct, follow the instructions provided on the site.  You will need to do the following (not available until 1 April 2017):

· CHECK - review and confirm the facts about your property held by the VOA

· CHALLENGE - once the facts are established, explain why you believe your valuation is wrong.

An appeal on your 2017 rateable value is not possible, and may not be necessary, until you have completed CHECK and CHALLENGE.

If you disagree with how your business rates bill has been worked out, for example if rate relief has not been given, then please email  or telephone 01306 879295.

Essential details to include are:

• your name and address
• the address of the premises in question
• what your interest is in the premises (for example, owner or tenant)
• what you disagree with and why you disagree with it.

If you are not satisfied that MVDC has made the correct decisions regarding your liability for payment, please email or telephone 01306 879295 saying why you should not be held responsible for paying.

Please provide your legal entity, the reference number on your account(s) and explain, with reasons, what you object to.

If you disagree with the date on a completion notice

If you have been served a completion notice on a new or altered building and you think that the building cannot reasonably be expected to be completed by the date shown on the notice, you should contact MVDC immediately or by returning the bottom of the completion notice slip to Revenues Section, Mole Valley, District Council, Pippbrook, Dorking, Surrey, RH4 1SJ. Alternatively, it can be scanned over to If agreement on the date cannot be reached you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

An appeal to the Valuation Tribunal should be made within four weeks of the date on which the notice was served.

More information and application forms for appealing against a completion notice are available on the Valuation Tribunal website.