You can recycle a range of plastics in your recycling bin.
What to do with an item?
Use the search tool below to find out what to do with an item. You will need to put in your postcode the first time you use it and then search for the item..
- drink, shampoo and bleach bottles
- yoghurt pots
- margarine or ice cream tubs
- ready meal, takeaway and vegetable trays
- plastic carrier bags and black sacks
- hard plastics like Tupperware, toys and furniture
- fruit juice cartons (Tetrapak) - please take these to your nearest Community Recycling Centre
- plastic film like cling film and non-stretchy film from a ready meal tray and salad bags
- plastic kitchen utensils, plates, cups and cutlery
- bubble wrap
- plant pots
Please make sure your plastic bottles; pots, tubs and trays are empty, rinsed and dry before you put them in your recycling bin.
You can now line your food waste caddy with plastic bags or liners. You can use anything from old shopping bags to bread or salad bags.
How are plastics recycled?
After being collected from your recycling bin, your plastics are taken to a Materials Recovery Facility, where they are separated from other recyclable materials like paper, cardboard, tins, cans and glass.
The plastics are then sorted into different types (PET bottles, HDPE bottles and mixed plastics) and baled. The bales of material are then sent on to reprocessing facilities, where the plastic is recycled into new products.
Find out more on our What Happens to your Recycling page.