Garden Waste Collection Service w/c 26 July
Due to a shortage of HGV drivers and high sickness levels, our garden waste collections have been suspended until 2 August. Please do not present your garden waste bin for collection.
We are sorry for this inconvenience and are working hard to reinstate the service as soon as possible. We will be writing to all our subscribers about this issue shortly.
Full terms and conditions on garden waste collection can be found at the bottom of this page.
We run a fortnightly garden waste collection service which offers residents an easy and convenient way to recycle all year round.
Your brown lid wheeled bin(s) need to be placed at the edge of your property by 6am on the day of your collection.
- branches (no thicker than seven centimetres (three inches)
- hedge trimmings, leaves or small twigs
- garden prunings and cuttings
- dead plants and cut flowers
- other organic plant material (e.g. fallen fruit)
- stones, gravel or rubble
- food waste
- pet litter or waste
- timber, wood or sawdust
- plastic bags
- cardboard or paper
- flower pots and seed trays
- glass or metal
Only garden waste contained within the wheeled bin will be collected, so you must purchase extra bins if there is excess waste.
Bins found to contain any items it shouldn't will not be collected until the contamination has been removed. Similarly, containers that are considered too heavy for safe handling will not be emptied until the weight has been reduced.
Arranging and paying for Garden Waste Services
The annual collection cost per wheeled bin is £58.
You can buy a maximum of three wheeled bins per household at a cost of £40 per bin.
Arrangements and payments can be made by contacting customer services on 01306 885001
MVDC will separately send you information on your first and ongoing collection day.
A new subscriber to the service will have to initially purchase a garden waste bin, costing £40, unless there is one already at the property.
Please note, the customer is responsible for looking after the bin. If your bin is lost or stolen you will be required to pay to replace it. To request an additional or replacement garden waste bin please call 01306 885001.
You can withdraw from your subscription service at any time, but will not be eligible for a refund. If you are moving within the district, you can request a transfer of an active subscription service to your new address. To withdraw your subscription or to request a transfer please call 01306 885001.
The garden waste is emptied into a dedicated vehicle and then sent to a local facility to be shredded and recycled into compost to be used as a soil improver.
Home composting is the most environmentally-friendly way as it rots down to produce nutritious compost which you can then use on your garden.
Composting is easy to do, and there are lots of things you can add to your compost bin or heap. It takes just a few quick steps to get started.
To find out how, visit the Surrey Environment Partnership website. Discounted compost bins and food waste digesters can be purchased the the Surrey Environment Partnership's subsidy scheme from £14.20 including delivery.
You can also take garden waste to any of Surrey's community recycling centres for free; find your nearest one on the Surrey County Council website.
Terms & Conditions for Garden Waste Service
These are the current Terms & conditions, which came into force in December 2020.
- The paid garden waste subscription is for a 12 month period to collect garden waste every two weeks.
- When you first subscribe or join again after a break in service, we will aim to add you onto the round within 14 days of your sign-up.
- The collection service applies to domestic households only. This is subject to suitable access for the crew and at the Council's discretion.
- You can withdraw from the service at any time, however no refunds will be issued if you terminate your contract part way through the service year.
- If you move house within Mole Valley you can request to transfer your subscription to your new house.
- If bad weather or some other circumstance stops us from emptying your bin(s), we reserve the right to suspend collections without warning. We may try to make up this collection, however we reserve the right not return until the next scheduled collection day. Refunds will not be made in these circumstances.
- We reserve the right to suspend collections without warning for up to 2 weeks over the Christmas period depending on annual circumstances. Refunds will not be made in these circumstances.
- As part of a new subscription, garden waste bins will be provided on loan; if you terminate your subscription or do not renew it and you have a garden waste bin that you have not purchased, you will receive a letter informing you that your loaned bin will be collected within 5 working days of the termination or lapsed subscription.
- Bins containing the wrong waste or that are too heavy to lift will not be collected.
- We only collect waste that is placed in the garden waste bin(s), which must be placed at the edge of your property by 6am on the day of your collection. Bin lids must be closed otherwise the bin is not safe to empty. If your bin is too full for the lid to shut, remove some items until it closes. Any extra waste left for collection will not be picked up. Please take surplus waste to a CRC or put it in the bin for the next collection.
- We will refund payment of your new subscription if you request it within 14 days of purchase. We will collect the garden waste bin if one has been supplied as part of the subscription purchase.
- If your bin is lost or stolen you will be required to pay to replace it. Please number your bin to reduce the likelihood of this happening.
- If your collection is missed, you must notify us within 2 working days of the scheduled collection so we can rectify any error we may have made.
- We reserve the right to modify any Terms and Conditions to the service or the annual subscription charge. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions is intended to affect, nor will affect, your statutory rights.
Prior to December 2020, the Terms & Conditions were as follows:
- The customer is responsible for looking after the bin. If your bin is lost or stolen you will need to pay to replace it. Please number your bin to reduce the likeliness of this happening.
- We reserve the right to alter or cancel collections during periods of adverse weather.
- If your collection is missed, the customer must notify us within 48 hours of the scheduled collection so we can rectify any error we may have made.