Specsavers Surrey Youth Games
The Surrey Youth Games (SYG), sponsored by Specsavers, is the largest annual youth sports festival in Surrey and gives young people (aged 7 to 16 years) experience of a competitive, countywide sporting tournament.
2018 Games: Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 June at Surrey Sports Park and Woking Leisure Centre
About the Games
The games are essentially a mini-Olympic event, where each of the eleven districts and boroughs in Surrey compete against each other in a variety of sports.
Children in the district get up to eight weeks free coaching in a range of different sports and then get selected to compete for Mole Valley.
Most of this year's action will take place on 'Super Sunday' at Surrey Sports Park. Girls Cricket and Football will take place on the Saturday, as well as Badminton and Senior Squash which will take place at Woking Leisure Centre (operated by Freedom Leisure in conjunction with Woking Borough Council).
Sport training sessions available
|Badminton U11||Mixed||9 - 11 yrs||5 & 6||The Ashcombe School Sports Hall||Wednesdays||25 April - 20 June (no session 30 May)||6.30 - 8pm|
|Badminton U14||Mixed||11- 14 yrs||7, 8 & 9||The Ashcombe School Sports Hall||Wednesdays||25 April - 20 June (no session 30 May)||8 - 9.30pm|
|Cricket U11||Girls||8 - 11 yrs||4, 5 & 6||Newdigate Cricket Club||Thursdays||26 April - 21 June (no session 31 May)||6 - 7.30pm|
|Football U9||Girls||7 - 9 yrs||3 & 4||KGV Playing Fields, Chartdowns||Fridays||27 April - 22 June (no session 1 June)||5 - 6pm|
|Football U11||Girls||9 - 11 yrs||5 & 6||KGV Playing Fields, Chartdowns||Fridays||27 April - 22 June (no session 1 June)||5 - 6pm|
|Hockey U11 Boys||Boys||9 - 11 yrs||5 & 6||TBC||TBC||TBC||TBC|
|Hockey U11 Girls||Girls||9 - 11 yrs||5 & 6||TBC||TBC||TBC||TBC|
|Judo U13 Boys||Boys||8 - 12 yrs||3 - 7||Dorking Sports Centre||Saturdays||21 April - 16 June (no session 26 May)||4.45 - 5.45pm|
|Judo U13 Girls||Girls||8 - 12 yrs||3 - 7||Dorking Sports Centre||Saturdays||21 April - 16 June (no session 26 May)||4.45 - 5.45pm|
|Lacrosse U15||Mixed||11 - 15 yrs||7 - 10||Manor House School||TBC||TBC||TBC|
|Netball U13||Girls||11 - 13 yrs||7 & 8||Manor House School||Mondays||23 April - 18 June (no session 28 May)||7 - 8.30pm|
|Netball High 5||Girls||9 - 11 yrs||5 & 6||Manor House School||Mondays||23 April - 18 June (no session 28 May)||5.30 - 7pm|
|Rugby U11||Girls||9 - 11 yrs||5 & 6||Dorking Rugby Club||Wednesdays||25 April - 20 June (no session 30 May)||4.45 - 6pm|
|Squash U10||Mixed||7 - 10 yrs||3 - 5||Leatherhead Leisure Centre||Saturdays||28 April - 16 June (no session 26 May & 2 June)||2.30 - 3.30pm|
|Squash U13||Mixed||10 - 13 yrs||6 - 8||Leatherhead Leisure Centre||Saturdays||28 April - 16 June (no session 26 May & 2 June)||3.30 -4.30pm|
|Tennis U8||Mixed||7 - 8 yrs||3||Dorking Lawn Tennis & Squash Club||Wednesdays||25 April - 20 June (no session 26 May)||5 - 6pm|
Eligibility for the Games
To compete for Mole Valley District Council you must:
- live or go to school in Mole Valley
- be of the correct age and gender for the sport you wish to take part in.
- be below county standard in the sport you wish to take part in
- unfortunately, it is only possible to register to compete in a maximum of two sports on the weekend of the SYG tournament (one on the Saturday and one on the Sunday). It is not possible to compete in two different sports on the same day of the games weekend
- want to have loads of fun!
Support the sustainability of the Games
After registering your participant - or at any time until 24 May - make a pit stop at the Shop. Your purchases will go towards the sustainability of the Games. In the Shop you can purchase:
- Specsavers Surrey Youth Games souvenir hoodie - a warm and cosy hoodie to keep you warm at training and to show-off to your friends and family that you are involved in the largest youth multisport event in the County.
- Book your family onto a family activity (jogging and/or golf) - a bit of healthy competition between brother and sister, mum and dad is what every family needs to have a fun-packed Sunday, whether you are selected for the Games competition weekend or not.
- Donate to support the Games continue its 21 year legacy in the county and ensure that more young people can have the same opportunities.
2017 Games - scorching temperatures
Last year during the weekend of record temperatures, 220 sporting stars from Mole Valley were given the opportunity to experience SYG and were able to showcase their talents and teamwork against other children from all the different districts/boroughs in Surrey.
Across the 19 teams Mole Valley entered into the games they did brilliantly and managed to accumulate 7 medals overall, doing the District extremely proud.
For further information about the Specsavers Surrey Youth Games please visit Active Surrey's website.