Mole Valley Economic Spotlight
Keeping you informed of the latest updates in the local, regional and national economy.
Mole Valley Economic Spotlight 2018 Q1 Business highlights
Do you have a news item you would like to include? Get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kuoni moved into their new head office in May. The office is located in Dorking office park and has been named "Touristik House" after Kuoni's parent company, Der Touristik. Kuoni employs over 240 people in Mole Valley and has been based in Dorking since 1974.
- Mole Valley businesses performed well in the Muddy Stilettos Awards 2018. Barton's Bookshop, Beaverbrook Country House, The Surrey Hills Florist and The Leatherhead Theatre all won awards in their categories. A further 14 Mole Valley businesses were shortlisted for awards.
- We have launched a new business twitter account Hello! Mole Valley. Follow us!
- The White Horse Hotel in Dorking re-launched earlier this year. Having undergone a substantial £4 million refurbishment since shutting its doors in July 2017, improvements were made throughout the hotel with the aim of introducing a stylish and affordable destination hotel to Dorking.
- Mole Valley District Council are asking all rural businesses to take part in a survey regarding the Annual Rural Community Summit 2018. Take part in the survey.
- Surrey Economic Prospects have reported Leatherhead-based construction company Wates Group has a record £5.1 billion order book and rising turnover and pre-tax profits. For the year to 31 December 2017, Wates reported turnover of £1.62 billion (compared to £1.53 billion in 2016). Pre-tax profits increased to £35.7 million.
- We will be piloting the new Business Reference Group in Leatherhead aimed at stimulating essential conversations between the council and businesses. If you are interested in finding out more email us at email@example.com
- Surrey Economic Prospects have reported Svaja, a Leatherhead-based hand-blown glass merchant, has significantly increased sales as a direct result of exporting to the Middle East, with support from the Department for International Trade. The business specialises in artisan-made glass designs. Its products can be found in retailers, hotels, medical centres, restaurants and homes stores around the world. In the UK, its stockists include John Lewis.
- Olivia's Closet, who are currently situated in Leatherhead, have now expanded into Dorking. The new shop can be found in St Martin's Walk, Dorking.
- Touch Associates, a Leatherhead based communications business, has been ranked as the fastest growing overseas sales mid-market private company in Mole Valley.
- In Leatherhead, 21-23 High Street and Swan Centre unit 2, previously occupied by Carphone Warehouse, are now available for let. Find out more:
Regional and National business highlights
- The Gatwick Diamond Meet the Buyers event will take place on 21 November 2018. The event will be held at The Arora Hotel, Crawley.
- The Surrey Business Awards will take place on 4 October 2018 at Epsom Downs Racecourse. The awards are sponsored by Surrey Chambers of Commerce.
- Exports from the South East increased by 10.9 per cent to more than £45 billion in 2017 according to the latest figures from HMRC. The results show that the South East is home to more than 24,000 exporters with an average value of £1.8 million per exporter.