Privacy Notice for Environmental Health
Mole Valley District Council ("MVDC") is the body exercising control over the purpose for which and the manner in which your personal data is processed.
Data Controller's contact details:
MVDC Pippbrook, Dorking RH4 1SJ. Telephone: 01306 885 001.
Data Protection Officer:
Mr Tom Penlington (Solicitor): Telephone: 01306 879 354
The legal basis for and the purposes of the processing:
MVDC Environmental Health and Licensing Department needs to use your personal data so we can contact you and provide a service to you. Environmental Health and Licensing use your personal data under many different laws which can be viewed in Appendix 1. In many cases there is a law that says we must or we can process your data and that we can do without your consent or permission, as we have a legal obligation to do so.
Where we do not directly provide the service, we may need to pass your personal data onto a company or organisation that do. These providers have to keep your details safe and secure, and use them only to provide the service.
Should you contact MVDC Environmental Health and Licensing department we will collect personal data about you which includes your name, address, telephone number, email etc. together with information you have given us in order to deal with enquires or investigate a complaint. This may also include information that we receive from third parties e.g. landlords.
Depending on what type of request we are dealing with we may require your national insurance number, in order to carry out a benefit check. We may also need to record medical information about you if we are investigating food poisoning or an infectious disease case.
MVDC is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. This includes MVDC's statutory participation in the Cabinet office's National Fraud Initiative (NFI) data matching exercises. For further information about data sharing for fraud prevention and investigation, see www.molevalley.gov.uk/datasharing.
The source of the personal data:
For the purposes of Environmental Health and Licensing the source of the personal data is you. Personal information about you relating to you and your household may also be gathered from other sources such as private sector landlords, housing associations, lettings agents, mortgage lending companies, health services, children, family and adult services, Department of Work and Pensions, Housing Benefit and Council Tax services, Ministry of Defence, the Police, prisons, probation and youth offending services, secure training units, employers, Citizens Advice Bureau, voluntary sector organisations and service providers
Recipients and categories of recipients of the personal data:
MVDC staff involved in the administration and management of the Environmental Health and Licensing department.
Your personal information will be treated as confidential but it may be shared with other council services and other bodies in order to ensure our records are accurate and up-to-date, and to carry out our functions. We will only use your information in ways permitted by the General Data Protection Regulations and the current UK Data Protection Law.
Further information on onward transfers:
MVDC will not transfer the personal data you have provided outside of the UK or European Union unless this is permitted in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018
How long the personal data will be kept for:
The personal data you have supplied will be destroyed in accordance with MVDC's Data Retention Policy or other regulatory bodies in order to comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
Statutory Obligations to provide the personal data:
There is no statutory obligation on you to provide any personal data about you, however, if you do not we will be unable to provide a service to you.
Automated Decision Making:
The personal data provided by you will not be used for any automated decisions.
Data Subject Rights:
From 25 May 2018 you will have some specific rights in respect of your personal data. These may include some or all of the following rights to:
- See what personal data about you MVDC holds at any time (subject to certain caveats, for example where third parties are identified);
- Have MVDC correct any errors (if any) in the personal data it holds about you, and to have incomplete personal data completed. In certain situations, however, MVDC can retain the personal data in dispute. You will be informed whether this is the case when we respond to your request.
- Have MVDC, on request from you; erase some or all of the personal data held about you (unless exceptions from this duty apply). If MVDC considers any exceptions any exceptions apply, you will be informed of this after you have made your request.your personal data is erased (though this right will not apply where MVDC is processing your personal data because it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation);
- Request processing of your personal data is restricted (this will only apply in certain situations, for example where its accuracy is contested, where the processing is unlawful and the you oppose its proposed erasure by MVDC, or where MVDC no longer needs to process the personal data, but it is required by you in connection with legal claims);
- Object to the processing where the processing is necessary for a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the data controller (though MVDC will still be able to continue with the processing in certain circumstances, such as if there are compelling grounds for the processing which over ride your interests).
- Be given a copy of your personal data in an accessible electronic format.
Will the personal data be processed for a different purpose?
No. If MVDC needs to inform recipients about any action it has taken under the Data Protection Act then it will do so by placing a Notice on MVDC's website informing the public of any relevant changes
If you are dissatisfied with how your personal data is processed by MVDC then you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner who can be contacted at: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow SK9 5AF
MVDC uses Google Analytics software to collect information about how you use www.molevalley.gov.uk. MVDC does this to help make sure the site is meeting the needs of its users and to help us make improvements.
The cookies MVDC uses for this purpose are:
This helps us count how many people visit molevalley.gov.uk by tracking if you've visited before
This helps us count how many people visit by tracking if you've visited before
Used to manage the rate at which page view requests are made
Like _ga, this lets us know if you've visited before, so we can count how many of our visitors are new to GOV.UK or to a certain page
This works with _utmc to calculate the average length of time you spend on GOV.UK
This works with _utmb to calculate when you close your browser
When you close your browser
This tells us how you reached GOV.UK (for example from another website or a search engine)
How do I prevent being tracked by Google Analytics?
If you are uncomfortable with this tracking, you can take the following actions:
- Use a tracking-blocker, such as Privacy Badger
- Clear cookies after every browsing session
Install the Google Analytics opt-out extension.