Privacy Notice for Economic Development Service
Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) is the body exercising control over the purpose for which and the manner in which your personal data is processed.
Data Controller's contact details:
MVDC, Pippbrook, Dorking RH4 1SJ. Telephone: 01306 885001.
Data Protection Officer:
Mr Tom Penlington (Solicitor): Telephone: 01306 879354
The legal basis for and the purposes of the processing:
MVDC's Economic Development Service is a non-statutory function which has been established to prepare and implement a long term Economic Prosperity Strategy for the district; ensuring that the business case and voice is heard by the organisation when key strategies and policies are being formulated. This is achieved, in part, by engaging with businesses and related partners to understand their needs so as to sustain prosperity within the district.
Should you provide MVDC Economic Development Service with personal data relating to you and/ or your business the personal data provided by you will be used:
- to contact you about business related activities;
- for input into a district wide business database for use by the Economic Development Service to contact and engage with local businesses;
- to help MVDC better understand the local economy through analysing the information you provide to the Economic development Service;
- to put you in contact with close associate partners that may be able to provide business support or advice with the consent of the data subject.
We will always ask your consent to share your personal information unless we have a legal duty or power to provide it without your consent, for example as part of the National Fraud Initiative.
The Economic Development Service is able to process relevant personal information. This is because:
- the data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one or more specific purposes;
- in some cases processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract;
- processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the pubic interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller;
- processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interested pursued by the controller or by a third party, except where such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject which require protection of personal data.
The source of the personal data:
For the purposes of Economic Development activities personal data will be sourced through a variety of means including face to face contact, web forms, emails, phone calls, networking and receiving business cards. Further to this, personal data will also be sourced through various means including input forms associated with projects such as the MVDC business database.
Recipients and categories of recipients of the personal data:
Recipients are MVDC staff involved in the administration and management of the Economic Development Service and the MVDC business database.
Information about you relating to you and your business may be shared with close associate partners that may be able to provide business support or advice with the consent of the data subject. These close associate partners may include organisations such as Surrey County Council, other Surrey Local Authorities, and business support organisations such as the relevant Chambers of Commerce.
Further information on onward transfers:
MVDC will not transfer the personal data you have provided outside of the UK or European Union unless this is permitted in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018
How long the personal data will be kept for:
The personal data you have supplied will be destroyed in accordance with MVDC's Data Retention Policy two years after the Economic Development Service first collected the data.
Statutory Obligations to provide the personal data:
There is no statutory obligation on you to provide any personal data about you, however, if you do not you will be unable to take advantage of the information and services that the Economic Development Service is able to distribute to businesses.
Automated Decision Making:
The personal data provided by you will not be used for any automated decisions.
Data Subject Rights:
From 25 May 2018 you will have some specific rights in respect of your personal data. These may include some or all of the following rights to:
- see what personal data about you MVDC holds at any time (subject to certain caveats, for example where third parties are identified);
- have MVDC correct any errors (if any) in the personal data it holds about you;
- request your personal data is erased (though this right will not apply where MVDC is processing your personal data because it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation);
- request processing of your personal data is restricted (this will only apply in certain situations, for example where its accuracy is contested, where the processing is unlawful and the you oppose its proposed erasure by MVDC, or where MVDC no longer needs to process the personal data, but it is required by you in connection with legal claims);
- object to the processing where the processing is necessary for a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the data controller (though MVDC will still be able to continue with the processing in certain circumstances, such as if there are compelling grounds for the processing which override your interests).
Will the personal data be processed for a different purpose?
No. If MVDC needs to inform recipients about any action it has taken under the Data Protection Act then it will do so by placing a Notice on MVDC's website informing the public of any relevant changes.
If you are dissatisfied with how your personal data is processed by MVDC then you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner who can be contacted at: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow SK9 5AF.
MVDC uses Google Analytics software to collect information about how you use www.molevalley.gov.uk. MVDC does this to help make sure the site is meeting the needs of its users and to help us make improvements.
The cookies MVDC uses for this purpose are:
This helps us count how many people visit molevalley.gov.uk by tracking if you've visited before
This helps us count how many people visit by tracking if you've visited before
Used to manage the rate at which page view requests are made
Like _ga, this lets us know if you've visited before, so we can count how many of our visitors are new to GOV.UK or to a certain page
This works with _utmc to calculate the average length of time you spend on GOV.UK
This works with _utmb to calculate when you close your browser
When you close your browser
This tells us how you reached GOV.UK (for example from another website or a search engine)
How do I prevent being tracked by Google Analytics?
If you are uncomfortable with this tracking, you can take the following actions:
- Use a tracking-blocker, such as Privacy Badger
- Clear cookies after every browsing session
Install the Google Analytics opt-out extension.