Preparing for Winter
There are three simple steps to help you prepare for winter:
Step 1 - Keep Warm
- Heat your home to at least 18oC
- Fit draught proofing and insulation
- Draw your curtains and shut doors to help keep the heat in
- Get your boiler checked annually
- Find out about financial help and grants - call your local Citizens Advice Bureau or ActionSurrey on 0800 783 2503
Step 2 - Keep Well
- Have plenty of hot food and drinks; eat at least five portions of fruit and veg every day and stock up on tinned and frozen foods
- Have your flu jab - if you're over 65 it's free!
- Catch germs in a tissue and wash hands
- Keep active indoors and out.
- Get help early; ask your pharmacist or for a non-emergency call 111
Step 3 - Be Prepared and Safe
- Keep your medicine cabinet stocked and fill repeat prescriptions in good time.
- Put together an emergency kit bag - see www.molevalley.gov.uk/emergencies
Stay up-to-date with weather reports
- Sign up for flood warnings: www.gov.uk/sign-up-for-flood-warnings and make a flood plan
- Look out for your neighbours
- For vulnerable residents - join your utility provider's Priority Service Register and Thames Water's Special Assistance Register on www.thameswater.co.uk
- Call Surrey Fire and Rescue for a free Home Fire Safety visit on 0800 085 0767
Please visit www.healthysurrey.org.uk for more information.