Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs if you're on a low income or out of work.

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It is paid directly to you as a single monthly payment and replaces the following benefits:

•    Housing Benefit
•    Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
•    Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
•    Income Support
•    Working Tax Credits
•    Child Tax Credits

If you currently receive any of these benefits, you cannot claim Universal Credit at the same time.

This short video will help you to learn more about Universal Credit, how is works and what it will mean for you.

During the next few years all working age people on a low income will gradually move from their current benefits to Universal Credit. However if you are already receiving Universal Credit you will remain on this.

How to claim Universal Credit

Universal Credit is being introduced in stages across the UK. Whether you can claim depends on where you live and your circumstances.

Currently only people living in postcode RH12 4 within Mole Valley and who have fewer than 3 children, can make a new claim for Universal Credit.

A step by step video on the application process is available.

To see if you may be eligible you can either visit GOV.UK's Universal Credit page or call 0800 3285644.

Proving your Identity for Universal Credit

GOV.UK Verify is the new way to prove who you are online and will speed up the process for claiming Universal Credit. It may remove the need for you to visit a Job Centre in person to prove who you are.

In most cases it will take between 5 and 15 minutes to verify your identity the first time you use GOV.UK Verify.  The service checks your personal details against records held by mobile phone providers, HM Passport Office, DVLA or credit agencies. There's no effect on your credit score.

You can find more information at GOV.UK Verify.

Will Universal Credit cover my council tax?

Universal Credit will include any housing costs you are entitled to, but it doesn't include financial help for Council Tax.

You may be eligible to receive Council Tax Support if you are liable for council tax.

What other support can Mole Valley provide?

We can:

  • provide online access in our offices at Pippbrook to help you complete your Universal Credit claim
  • offer advice with claiming other welfare benefits that you may be entitled to
  • help you complete your claim for Council Tax Support
  • in certain circumstances offer personal budgeting support to help you to manage your money

Extra help towards your rent

Sometimes the Housing Element of Universal Credit may not be enough for you to pay your rent.

The Discretionary Housing Payment scheme may be able to help you. Each application we receive will be considered on it's own merits. Payments are made at our discretion if we believe you need extra short-term financial support.

To claim Discretionary Housing Payment help with Universal Credits (see 'Downloads') and complete a Universal Credit Discretionary Housing Payment Application form.

Last Updated: 27/07/2018

Printer Friendly Version

Anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve molevalley.gov.uk

For general enquiries use Report it, Apply for it or Contact Us