Bins - What goes in them?
If you are unsure what you can and cannot put into your general waste and recycling bins, use Recycle for Surrey's recycling search tool.
Want to know which bin to put something in or where to take it? Use the search below to find out.
Green Recycling Bin
When putting items into your recycling bin, please ensure they are clean and preferably dry. Items can either be placed in loose or bagged in a clear recycling sack.
Extra recycling will be collected on your recycling collection day as long as it is securely bagged in a clear recycling sack and placed next to your green bin.
Recycling presented in black sacks or carrier bags will not be accepted.
Please ensure that any extra recycling is dry, Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) is unable to accept wet material.
- glass bottles and jars
- paper and cardboard - all types of cereal boxes, clean dry cardboard, catalogues, junk mail (please remove all plastic wrapping), magazines, newspaper, telephone directories and shredded paper (this should be contained in a clear recycling sack, envelope or cereal box).
- all plastic bottles (e.g. detergent bottles, fizzy drink and water bottles, milk bottles, shampoo and other bathroom product bottles) and food tubs, pots and trays, any colour except black. Please empty items of their contents and rinse before placing in the bin
- metals/foil - aluminium and steel food and drinks cans, as well as all clean aluminium foil. If possible, please remove labels.
- broken glass - Please safely wrap this in newspaper and place in your black refuse bin
- food waste - see food waste web page
- fruit juice cartons (Tetrapak) - please take these to your nearest Community Recycling Centre
- garden waste - garden waste can be taken to your nearest Community Recycling Centre or you can subscribe to the Garden Waste Collection Service
- other plastic - see plastics web page
- polystyrene - polystyrene is very low quality material which cannot be recycled
If you are unsure about how to recycle a particular item, please call 01306 885001.
Black Refuse Bin
The black bin is your general waste bin, the contents of which are taken for landfill. You can dispose of all general waste that you generate within your household which is not recycling, garden waste or food waste in this bin.
- rubble, earth, paint tins, sand or other building waste - this can be disposed of at one of the Community Recycling Centres and waste disposal facilities in the district so long as it is non-commercial, otherwise a licence will be required to tip it.
- garden waste - garden waste can be taken to your nearest Community Recycling Centre or you can subscribe to our Garden Waste Collection Service
- Clinical waste such as needles - see Clinical/Healthcare web page
- batteries/electronics - see our Small Electricals web page
Food waste is collected every week in Mole Valley at the same time as your waste or recycling collections.
In Mole Valley you can recycle a range of textiles using our free kerbside collection.
MVDC also has a weekly kerbside collection service for small electrical items.
MVDC runs a fortnightly garden waste collection service which offers residents an easy and convenient way to recycle all year round.
MVDC offers a bulky waste collection service for bulky household items, rubble and plasterboard.