Single Person Discounts
Your full council tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.
Your council tax bill will be reduced by 25% if you count as an adult for Council Tax and either:
- you live on your own
- no-one else in your home counts as an adult
You will get a 50% discount if no-one living in your home, including you, counts as an adult.
For houses that contain full-time students only, the bill will be reduced by 100%.
Who doesn't count as an adult?
These people are not counted as adults for Council Tax:
- children under 18
- people on apprentice schemes
- 18 and 19-year-olds who are in full-time education
- full-time college and university students*
- young people under 25 who receive funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People's Learning Agency
- student nurses
- foreign language assistants registered with the British Council
- people who have a severe mental impairment
- live-in carers who look after someone who isn't their partner, spouse or child (up to 18 years)
*Students must be on a full-time course. Your course must last at least one calendar or academic year, with at least 21 hours of study per week, 24 weeks per year. If you're under 20 years old and completing your A-levels, your course must, last at least three months with at least 12 hours of study per week.
If you think you may qualify for a single person discount and would like to apply, please email email@example.com or call the Revenues team on 01306 879293.