Houses in Multiple Occupation Licence

Certain Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO's) are required to be licensed by Mole Valley District Council (MVDC).

What is a House in Multiple Occupation?

A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is a house or flat occupied by more than one 'household' (i.e. not all members of the same family). A HMO can include:

  • bedsits
  • hostels
  • houses converted into flats
  • some shared houses

When does a HMO require a licence (up until 1 October 2018)?

A HMO only requires a licence if it is considered 'large'. This means:

  • it accommodates five or more people
  • it holds more than one household, with occupants sharing (or lacking) basic facilities such as a bathroom, toilet or a kitchen
  • it is three or more storey's high

What is changing from 1 October 2018?

A licence will be required for a HMO consisting of five or more people who form more than one household and share one bathroom, toilet or kitchen regardless of the number of storeys.

What do you need to do ahead of 1 October 2018?

If you are a landlord or manager and need to apply for a licence because of the change in legislation as detailed above, please contact the Environmental Health team on 01306 879301.

Each HMO will require an inspection by a member of the Environmental Health team to ensure it meets acceptable management standards and has adequate amenities and fire safety measures

A fee of £687 will be payable to obtain a licence, a discount of £50 is applicable for those who are members of a recognised national landlords's association.

The following will be required when applying for a licence:

  • a valid gas safety certificate for the HMO (where applicable)
  • a valid fire detection commissioning certificate (for new installations) or a valid fire detection servicing certificate (for existing installations) where applicable
  • a valid emergency lighting certificate, where applicable
  • a valid electrical fixed installation certificate
  • a valid energy performance certificate

Applying for a licence

If you would like to apply for a licence online, please complete an electronic application through the GOV.UK. Alternatively, please email An Environmental Health Officer will advise you about licensing and the steps that have to be taken to apply for a licence.

Tacit consent does not apply to these licences as it is in the public interest for MVDC to process your application before it is granted.

Current Licences

Licence Address
Decision Date Reason
43 Woodland Lane, Ashtead, Surrey, KT21 2BT 29/7/13 Conditions Met
11 Poplar Road, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 8SF 19/3/14 Conditions Met

Internet Links

MVDC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Last Updated: 28/11/2018

Printer Friendly Version

Anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve

For general enquiries use Report it, Apply for it or Contact Us