Unaudited Statement of Accounts 2017/18
Auditing the Annual Accounts 2017/18
Accounts approval dates
It is a statutory requirement for the draft Statement of Accounts to be signed and dated annually by the responsible financial officer on behalf of the Council, the latest date is the 31st May 2018 and the audited Statement of Accounts to be approved by Council before 31 July 2018.
Public Inspection Notice, duration and dates
(Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014, regulations 25, 26 and 27, Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015, Regulations 14 and 15 and 21.)
The Council's draft unaudited accounts are subject to external audit by Iain Murray, Director, Audit and Assurance, Grant Thornton UK LLP, 30 Finsbury Square, London, EC2A 1AG. Members of the public and local government electors have certain rights in the audit process:
- any person may inspect and make copies of the accounts of the Council and certain related documents (comprising of books, deeds, contracts, bills, vouchers and receipts). For the year ending 31 March 2018, these documents will be available, on application to the Deputy Chief Executive, at the address below between 8.30am and 4.45pm Monday to Friday commencing Friday 1 June 2018 to Thursday 12 July.
- any rights of objection, inspection or questioning of the Statement of Accounts under sections 26 and 27 of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014, may only be exercised during the 30 day inspection period from Friday 1 June 2018 to Thursday 12 July 2018. During the period for the exercise of public rights under section 26 and 27 of the Act the Authority must make the documents available for inspection at reasonable notice and times
- during this period, a local government elector for any area to which the accounts relate, or their representative, may question the auditor about the accounts, or make an objection to the accounts as set out in sections 26 and 27 of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014. Any objection, and the grounds on which it is made, must be sent to the auditor in writing, as outlined below, with a copy to:
'Nick Gray, Deputy Chief Executive, For and on behalf of Mole Valley District Council'.
Any objection must state the grounds on which the objection is being made and particulars of:
• any item of account which is alleged to be contrary to law; and
• any matter in respect of which it is proposed that the auditor could make a public interest report under section 24 of, and paragraph 1 of Schedule 7 to, the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014.
Objections should be addressed to Iain Murray, Grant Thornton UK LLP, 30 Finsbury Square, London, EC2A 1AG.
Please note, that at this stage, the Accounts are unaudited and subject to change in accordance with Regulation 15, para 2 (a) of the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015.
Once the audit is completed, the audit opinion is issued after the Statement of Accounts are signed and by the revised statutory due date of the 31 July 2018. The auditors 'Grant Thornton LLP' will formally notify the authority that the audit has been completed and a further notification will be placed on the Council's website.
A copy of the Statements may be requested by writing to the Financial Services Manager at the above address, for which a charge may be payable, or by viewing the 'Statement of Accounts' (see 'Downloads').
Nick Gray, Deputy Chief Executive, Mole Valley District Council, Council Offices, Pippbrook, Dorking, Surrey, RH4 1SJ
31 May 2018