Staying Safe in Taxis
All taxis licensed by Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) require both the driver and vehicle to undergo a series of checks to ensure public safety is protected.
Take a journey in an unlicensed taxi and you're putting your life at risk. Your driver may not be insured if you have an accident and you run the risk of being cheated, assaulted or even worse.
Taxis are licensed to be hired immediately - you can get one at a rank, hail one in the street, or pre-book. Private hire vehicles (also called minicabs) are licensed only to collect passengers who have pre-booked with a licensed operator.
Both vehicles and their drivers must be licensed to ensure they meet legal requirements.
If you need to get a taxi in Mole Valley, check it has a licence plate issued by MVDC. Drivers are subject to a number of checks and must clearly display an identification badge. These badges are numbered and have a photograph of the driver.
All taxis that have a plate starting with a '7' are wheelchair accessible. However, there are other vehicles available, both taxi and private hire, that are also accessible. Please check with the driver or private hire company before accepting a booking.
- try to pre book a cab or taxi whenever possible
- request the cost of the taxi fare in advance of your journey
- don't give your name to the driver - ask them who they are collecting
- always sit in the back of the vehicle
- all doors should remain unlocked when the taxi is carrying passengers
- carry your mobile phone in your hand, so it is easily accessible
- if you are at all suspicious, don't get in and make a note of the number plate. Do not use a cab if:
- there are no taxi signs on the roof or licence plate
- the driver will not tell you the cost of the taxi journey
- you can't see an identification badge
- the driver appears to be under the influence of alcohol
- the driver does not seem to know the local area
- the vehicle seems to be too old for use as a cab
- the vehicle is in a state of disrepair
The vast majority of taxi and private hire bookings are completed without any problems but, if you do encounter any such issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01306 879351.
The published Tariff (see 'Downloads') is the current charge for all taxi journeys. This has remained the same in Mole Valley since May 2014.