Change in Circumstance

If you receive either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support and there is a change to your circumstances, or to the persons living in your household, you must tell Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) immediately as you may receive less help and be asked to pay back any overpayment.

Housing Benefit: Change of Circumstances Form ›

If the change is advantageous, you could lose out on any extra help you may have been entitled to if you do not report the change within one calendar month of it happening. If you receive pension credit, you may also be asked to contact the Pension Service by phone, on 0345 6060 265.

Examples of changes

Some of the changes that you must report include changes to your, or your households income, such as:

  • earnings going up or down, including an increase in the National Minimum or Living wage
  • stopping work or starting new employment
  • child tax credit or working tax credit award changes
  • child benefit reduces or stops 
  • an occupational pension is paid or the amount changes
  • savings or capital change
  • the amount you pay towards childcare changes
  • you or a member of your household stop or start to receive Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Universal Credit or any other state benefits
  • Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment is awarded or stops

Changes to the household, such as:

  • your partner moves into or out of your home
  • you get married, separate or divorce
  • your child leaves school / further education or you stop receiving child benefit for them
  • you move home
  • there is a change in the amount of rent you pay
  • the number of people living with you, or their circumstances alter
  • there is absence from the home for more than 4 weeks

This list is not exhaustive. If you are unsure if a change will affect your entitlement, please contact the Benefits Section for advice.

Notifying the Benefits Section of changes

The Benefits Section will require original documents such as pay slips and bank statements when considering any change.

Housing Benefit: Change of Circumstances Form ›

Alternatively, you can notify the Benefits Section in writing or by visiting MVDC's offices to report any change. If you contact the Benefits Section by telephone, you will be asked to put any details in writing. The address to send your letter to is: Pippbrook, Dorking, Surrey RH4 1SJ.

MVDC is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and to this end, may use the information you have provided in order to access this service for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

Last Updated: 06/11/2019

Printer Friendly Version

Anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve

Use our online services to report, apply or pay.