Gambling and Charitable Collections

This page provides more information relating to local lotteries and charitable collections. If you plan to hold a raffle or society lottery, you will first need to obtain a permit from Mole Valley District Council (MVDC).

Local Lotteries - Applying for a Permit

Should the raffle require tickets to be sold in advance of the event, please download and complete the 'Lotteries Application Form' (see 'Downloads') and send it together with the appropriate fee to: Licensing Administration, Mole Valley District Council, Pippbrook, Dorking, Surrey, RH4 1SJ.

A new registration will cost £40, with the annual renewal costing £20. This annual fee is due in the two months prior to the anniversary of your registration. MVDC may cancel your registration if the payment is not received by the anniversary of your first registration. If this is the case, you will then have to pay for a new registration.

You will need to complete an application form return for each lottery and send it to MVDC within three months of each draw. MVDC will need to know that at least 20% of the total proceeds raised have gone to the cause for which the society was created. The form must be signed by two members of the society who have been authorised to do so.

Terms and conditions

  • MVDC can inspect records for any lottery so it is advisable to keep records for all unsold and returned tickets for a year after the draw
  • there can be a rollover of prize funds as long as the total for any single prize does not exceed £25,000 or 10% of the proceeds of the lottery
  • tickets must be all of the same price, contain the name and address of a person who is responsible for the lottery and the date of the draw
  • tickets cannot be bought or sold by anyone who is under 16

Charitable collections

If you would like to collect money for charity on the street, you will need to apply to MVDC for a free permit.

House-to-house collections

If you would like to make a collection for money or goods from house-to-house for charitable, benevolent or philanthropic purposes, you will need to obtain a free permit from MVDC unless the charity is exempt.

Normally house-to-house collections invite cash donations but, if you are collecting goods, you will also need to have a permit. MVDC will no longer accept yearly block bookings for house-to-house collections.

Street collections

You will need a permit issued by MVDC if you would like to collect money or goods in any street or public place for the benefit of charitable or other purposes. It is an offence to collect without a permit.


To apply for a free collection permit online, please complete the electronic application form through the 'GOV.UK' website (see 'Internet Links'). For guidance, please email or call 01306 879351.

You can also complete a collection return online through GOV.UK.


Tacit consent applies to both house-to-house and street collection permits. If you have not received your permit or any contact from MVDC within 10 working days, you can assume that your permit has been issued and your collection can go ahead.

Gambling Act 2005

The Gambling Act 2005 requires that the Council publish a 'Statement of Policy' every three years. The latest policy cane be viewed in our Downloads section. MVDC passed this Policy for publication on the 24 November 2015 at a full Council meeting.


MVDC is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and, to this end, it may use the information you have provided in order to access this service for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For more information, visit the Fraud and Corruption page.

Related Pages

Internet Links

MVDC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Last Updated: 03/09/2018

Printer Friendly Version

Anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve

For general enquiries use Report it, Apply for it or Contact Us